Us - Vision & Mission - Location
The National Museum of Natural
History(NMNH) was established as one of the national level institutions
set up during the Silver Jubilee celebrations of India's Independence,
to portray and promote awareness on the Natural Heritage of the
The National Museum of Natural
History, an institution devoted to environmental education,
derives its strength principally from theme-based exhibition
galleries, experiential resource centers such as Discovery Room,
Activity Room,and educational and out-reach activities,
with the intention to depict the country's rich natural
heritage and natural history(geology,botany and zoology).
The objectives of the National
Museum of Natural History are:
- To develop the NMNH in the country's
Capital to achieve the highest level of quality
to promote environmental education on a national level.
- To develop Regional offices(regional museum
of natural history)in various regions of the count-
in order to extend its activities at the regional/local levels.
- To develop museum-based educational projects
at the level so as to help school curriculum on
- To develop EE resource materials(such as
audio-visual aids,low-cost teaching aids,school loan kits,etc.)
to promote environmental education(EE).
- To undertake research(museological and collection based)
consonant with the scope and resou-
rces of the museum.
- To extend professional help to other agencies/organizations
regarding natural history collections
- To develop national and international cooperation/collaboration
with other organizations/profess-
bodies/museums related to natural history/EE.
(a) So far:
- Established and successfully operationalised
the NMNH in the Capital city of the country with
effect from 1978.
- Organized a variety of educational and
extension services to supplement formal education
system and bring
environmental awareness among the masses.
- Publication of popular literature on environmental
and conservation issues.
- Organized several in-house and outdoor exhibitions
and expositions on Nature and Environ-
ment to reach out to a wider audience.
- Organized/participated in the 'Festivals
of India' abroad held at USA, USSR, Japan and Nepal
of the Ministry of Environment & Forests.
- Established and operationalised three Regional offices
(Regional Museums of Natural History)
at Mysore(Southern Region) in May 1995
,Bhopal(Central Region) in September 1997,and Bhubaneswar(Eastern Region) in
August 2004.A fourth Regional Office has been established
in Sawai Madhopur
(Western Region) in Decenber 2007 and is expected to be operationalised
A fifth Regional Office is being planned at Gangtok(North-Eastern Region).
(b) For Future:
- To establish the state-of-the-art National
Museum of Natural History on its own land and in a suitably designed
- To establish a networking of Natural Museums and biological collections
in India with the ava-
ilable resources of NMNH and its Regional Offices linking
with State-level organizations.
- To organize academic seminars/confrences/workshops in professional
aspects of Museology related to Natural History Museums.
- To undertake National Status Surveys on Natural History
Museums in India at periodic inter-
- To extend professional help to other indian museums/organizations
with natural history sec-
- To establish National Resource Center on EE with films,videos,
(animal and bird calls)etc.on various topics on Natural Haritage.
- To establish a Natural History Museology Training Center to train
staff working in Natural
Hisotry Museums,and build their capacity not only in
India,but also in countries of SAARC.
- To establish National Centers on a few thrust areas in which the NMNH
and its Regional Of-
fices have already excelled:Museum visitor Studies,Museum Access
ural Haritage etc.
- To undertake professional development on an international
level by collaborating with var-
ious committees of ICOM(International Council of Museums).
(a) Short term
The National Museum of Natural History will
be revitalized in its existing rented premises by way of revamping
its public areas and facilities in more innovative ways.A strong networking of NMNH and
Regional offices will be developed in order to extend the activities of the NMNH at the regional
and state level.
(b) Long term
The NMNH would be established in its own premises
as a self sustainable state-of-art facilityalongwith
established regional offices.It will be an institution recognized nationally
and internationally in
the field of Environmental Education
and professional Natural History Museology.As a public service institution,
the resources of the Museum would be made available and accessible to all visitors.